Thumbs up

Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
swede

Thumbs up

Post by swede » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 am

Cheers,

Today I put my HKN script on the shelf and made a new one for mojo, so far it works like a champ :D
Only problem I have is that I cant use Swedish keyboard I have to change it to English/English, not a huge problem if I remember to change before I jump into a pile of mobs.

everything runs alot smoother then HKN with my 6 char team.
And now when i can use shift, alt and ctrl within the key ( ) command iam super happy

Thanks alot for Mojo

/swede

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 am

swede wrote:Today I put my HKN script on the shelf and made a new one for mojo, so far it works like a champ :D ...

HI Swede. This is the best thing I could hear. Thank you!

My goal was to replace HKN with something better. Really I had two goals: (1) Make Mojo work better than HKN and (2) make Mojo easier than HKN.

I thought, "This will be hard because people don't like to change. They spent many hours writing HKN scripts. They used HKN for many years. They are probably happy with HKN. They won't want to change to a new program."

But I also thought, "HKN has a lot of problems. If I fix the problems, maybe people will switch to Mojo."

So here was my challenge: Make Mojo so much better than HKN that people switch to Mojo. It was a game for myself. :)
Only problem I have is that I cant use Swedish keyboard I have to change it to English/English, not a huge problem if I remember to change before I jump into a pile of mobs.
Sorry about that. I'll try to fix this. Can you tell me exactly what doesn't work? Is it Slash()? I already know Slash doesn't work with Danish keyboards. I tried to fix it but I don't think I can fix it without a physical Danish keyboard on my desk. A Danish player said he'd send me an old keyboard but it hasn't arrived yet.

I also didn't put any support for dead keys in the program. Is that an issue? US keyboards don't generate them. I've been planning to add that but first I wanted to get the new code working with the keyboard on my desk.

If I add support for other languages/keyboards, Swedish, Danish, and German will be first because people from those countries have been the most generous donors to Mojo over the years. Year and after year, most of the donations to Mojo come from those countries. At the beginning I thought it was a random fluke but it's not. It's not even close. Year after year it's the vast majority of donations. I've also noticed that a very big fraction of US donations come from Minnesota, Wisconsin and the midwest, areas that received a lot of Scandinavian and German immigrants. There's something different about people from your part of the world. You folks are more socially conscious or more generous or more something. I don't know how to say it but I appreciate it.

It's not the money that matters, it's the community-minded spirit and sense of responsibility. I admire and appreciate this trait and want to recognize it.

Boy, I sure got awfully serious here for a forum about a game! :)
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 am

P.S.

Here's an old post about Swedes from 2013..

Four years later, if I update this graph, it will look similar.
Author of Mojo

swede

Post by swede » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Rob wrote:
swede wrote:Today I put my HKN script on the shelf and made a new one for mojo, so far it works like a champ :D ...

HI Swede. This is the best thing I could hear. Thank you!

My goal was to replace HKN with something better. Really I had two goals: (1) Make Mojo work better than HKN and (2) make Mojo easier than HKN.
I thought, "This will be hard because people don't like to change. They spent many hours writing HKN scripts. They used HKN for many years. They are probably happy with HKN. They won't want to change to a new program."
it took me about 2h to make the script functional once again, and i added new stuff while i was runing when i noticed i missed something. (hello groupheal)
But I also thought, "HKN has a lot of problems. If I fix the problems, maybe people will switch to Mojo."
You have done a great job, it feels alot smoother when you got it runing.

So here was my challenge: Make Mojo so much better than HKN that people switch to Mojo. It was a game for myself. :)
Sorry about that. I'll try to fix this. Can you tell me exactly what doesn't work? Is it Slash()?
Yeah its the slash() i did see the notice on the multibox page. Must be something about our keys are on diffrent locations, like / is on Shift 7 and so on.
I already know Slash doesn't work with Danish keyboards. I tried to fix it but I don't think I can fix it without a physical Danish keyboard on my desk. A Danish player said he'd send me an old keyboard but it hasn't arrived yet.
I still use my old Compaq keyboard from 2000 :P not found any new with that great feel :shock:
I also didn't put any support for dead keys in the program. Is that an issue? US keyboards don't generate them. I've been planning to add that but first I wanted to get the new code working with the keyboard on my desk.
Noting i noticed to be an issue.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:10 pm

swede wrote:Yeah its the slash() i did see the notice on the multibox page. Must be something about our keys are on diffrent locations, like / is on Shift 7 and so on.
Could you do me a favor? Maybe this will let me fix it.

There's a key you press to move the cursor to DAOC's command line. On my US keyboard, I press /?.

Could you go to Geeky Stuff in Mojo. Look at the upper left corner. Press the key you use to move to the command line.

Then please tell me the key name, virtual key, scan code, and extended.

With this info, maybe I can fix the problem.
swede wrote:I still use my old Compaq keyboard from 2000 :P not found any new with that great feel :shock:
Wow. Mine are pretty old but I don't think they are that old.
Author of Mojo

swede

Post by swede » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:01 am

Rob wrote:
swede wrote:Yeah its the slash() i did see the notice on the multibox page. Must be something about our keys are on diffrent locations, like / is on Shift 7 and so on.Could you do me a favor? Maybe this will let me fix it.

There's a key you press to move the cursor to DAOC's command line. On my US keyboard, I press /?.

Could you go to Geeky Stuff in Mojo. Look at the upper left corner. Press the key you use to move to the command line.

Then please tell me the key name, virtual key, scan code, and extended.

With this info, maybe I can fix the problem.
Virtuell key: 189
Scan Code: 53
Extended: No

another Edit :)
added a link to a Swedish keyboard layout, the key i pressed to enter command is at the bottom right, next to RShift (-)

http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/153-2

hope that help

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks very much!

Could you please tell me one more thing? When you press the key, what's the "key name" on Mojo's Geeky Stuff?
Author of Mojo

swede

Post by swede » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 am

Minus

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:10 am

Thanks
Author of Mojo