Rob, can it be true? You wrote HotkeyNet?

Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Rob, can it be true? You wrote HotkeyNet?

Post by Rob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:52 am

furyswipes wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm
Crushing news, once again, a fix we thought would hold didn't.
The buffering returned for Valatorin.
Crushing news indeed. Did anybody try raising HKN's process priority?
furyswipes wrote: I forgot to respond to the "advisor" question. Yes, of course, I would love input there, though the present tool is near perfect. I have 4-5 guys in Europe on my discord that are real heavy lifters in multiboxing code, and between us, we can hash out the things we would love to see.
I should say at the outset that if I write another multiboxing program, it won't be totally free. It will have a free limited version and a paid full version.

I'd be curious to know if you guys have any ideas about how a perfect, blue-sky multiboxing program would differ from what's available today.

If we forget whether this fantasy program's features are practical or not, whether our ideas are technically doable or not, and simply imagine the most wonderful multiboxing program we can imagine -- the sky's the limit -- what would it be like?
furyswipes wrote: Well, then, be astonished, because I'm happy to be the one to tell you that you are famous, you are legend, and your work has undergone continuous use since 2005. HKN is the ONLY free multiboxing tool that works.
Heh, well, I didn't know that and of course I'm glad to hear it. :)
furyswipes wrote: Color me a little skeptical when you paint this as just a rough draft, Rob. I have never seen a better, more readable, more understandable technical reference for any tool when you simply click the help menu item. The app and the support literally ooze professionalism and finish.
Thanks for the kind words. HKN was really a rough draft That's why I never charged money for it. It was the rough draft for the program I ended up calling HKN 2. Maybe if you compare the two programs HKN will look more like a rough draft.

You're right that I didn't write all of HKN in three weeks. I wrote the basic core of HKN in three weeks in 2005. That basic core was the engine of the program. That basic core could read hotkey files, execute hotkeys, and send commands from one PC to another and from HKN to WoW. It could read hotkey scripts and execute simple hotkeys that use <text> and <key>.

It included just enough features to be a proof of concept. I wanted to see whether I could write a working multiboxing program in a reasonable amount of time. It was really a rough draft. I thought that if I decided to do further work on the program, I would start over from scratch. This was my normal way of working at the time.

Then in 2008 I started an alpha test for HKN on dualboxing.com. Overnight the program had hundreds of testers. To keep them interested, I added their feature requests to the rough draft. Those new features took additional work beyond the initial three weeks, but they got bolted onto the rough-draft foundation. That rough-draft foundation is still the basis of the program today.

The testers needed instructions so I wrote documentation and put it on the website. I used to be a technical writer and I tried to do a good job with that.

Meanwhile I started writing a second version of the program with solid code. I called it HKN 2. HKN2 would have been amazing because it contains a full blown interpreted bit code language with control over which PCs execute which pieces of code. This is probably the single craziest thing I ever wrote in my 35 years as a programmer. But I lost interest and never finished HKN 2. Actually, Mojo is probably the finished HKN 2. But it works only with DAOC not WoW.
Author of Mojo

furyswipes

Post by furyswipes » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 am

Yep, tried realtime yesterday. No joy.

As far as putting a price tag on a new HKN, you aren't scaring anybody, sucka, so long as it's not per-month, which I will never do (hi, ISBoxer). We got a community hungry for tools that work.

Let me put the "sky is the limit" question to my discord. I'm afraid I'm thinking too small. I have a habit of doing that.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 am

As far as putting a price tag on a new HKN, you aren't scaring anybody, sucka, so long as it's not per-month, which I will never do (hi, ISBoxer).
i was thinking of a monthly price but less than Isboxer.
Yep, tried realtime yesterday. No joy.
Realtime usually stops the PC from working properly. I would try AboveNormal or High.
Author of Mojo

furyswipes

Post by furyswipes » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Aw maaaan you're killin me brah! Nah, I'm not down for monthly, but some of the guys said they would, assuming it smashes ISBoxer.

We are still working on fixes and workarounds for the buffering...some good results last night, but too many changes to know which was it, yet...

I downloaded someone's HKN file which was crashing, and discovered they were making gui panels and windows with buttons on them! Again, ambushed by capabilities that HKN had that I never knew about! I'm knocked out again!