Mojo becoming a paid program?

Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
Qysh

Re: Mojo becoming a paid program?

Post by Qysh » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 am

Hi Rob,

I can't begin to imagine the time and effort you've put into this effort. 9 years? Wow. You are one of a kind to do that on a donation basis. I would feel exactly the way you do now, especially on the fact you no longer play. I would like to offer a suggestion that had me reluctant at first to pay/donate but now I guess no matter how the process goes, the element of risk will always be there. If the options to pay could some how be broadened? I am not well versed in what it takes to get paid other than check, transfer or pay pal, would not know what impact or complications would be needed to over come on your end to make that happen. To see Pay pal as the only option had deterred me in the past. But If Pay pal is the only way to pay then I guess I just have to suck it up.

Well, I realized I have been a user and not a contributor so I bit the bullet and donated, twice, ($20.00 ) once for mojo and ($20) once for the Gaheris.net via Pay Pal.

So, after all said and done, I would gladly pay you and I don't foresee any issues at the suggested price range you illustrated. Would be convenient though if there were was more than one way to pay you.

And Thank you very much for all the work you've done with Mojo, I've learned a lot over the past 2-3 months and appreciate the simplistic approach you try to illustrate to the use of your program.

Best of luck to your endeavor and know that you have one more supporter regardless of what you decide to do.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi Qysh,
Well, I realized I have been a user and not a contributor so I bit the bullet and donated, twice, ($20.00 ) once for mojo and ($20) once for the Gaheris.net via Pay Pal.
Thanks very much.
To see Pay pal as the only option had deterred me in the past...Would be convenient though if there were was more than one way to pay you.
If somebody can recommend some other payment method, I'll look into it and maybe give it a try. There are lots of them nowadays. One of the problems is that most Mojo donations come from Europe and I'm in the US so ideally, payment methods should work internationally.

Incidentally, most of the donations come from just three European countries: Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. And a big chunk of the US donation come from the upper midwest where lots of Scandinavians immigrated. Last time I checked, about half of Mojo donations came from Sweden, but I haven't looked at the numbers in years so it may be different now.
I can't begin to imagine the time and effort you've put into this effort. 9 years? Wow. You are one of a kind to do that on a donation basis.
There is an explanation for my insanity. :) When I started working on Mojo, I planned to eventually make it a commercial product that works with many games not just DAOC. I thought I was giving it away free to DAOC players in return for them alpha-testing it. I expected that one day I would start selling it to WoW players, etc. The number of DAOC players was so small by the time I started Mojo that it never made any business sense to write a program for sale specifically to them. But I never got around to adding support for other games. Meanwhile I kept adding features for DAOC players and Mojo turned into a hobby.
Best of luck to your endeavor and know that you have one more supporter regardless of what you decide to do.
Thanks very much. I appreciate it. And thanks again for the donations.
Author of Mojo

Buffsteria

Post by Buffsteria » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi Rob, thank you very much for the wonderfully kind words! I've taken to using Mojo exclusively and couldn't be happier. The only issue I ran into is that once all the toons in a team are logged in, I need to alt tab outside of DAoC otherwise the mouse doesn't respond. But after I do this, everything works wonderfully! :-) Also thanks to Mojo I was able to become LGM in everything! *cough* DoHotkeyAsync *cough*

I love your work and although we haven't spoken in years I still think I'm your biggest fan!

Koxicain

Post by Koxicain » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:04 pm

5$ a month i would gladly pay!
Will this mean new features & request would happen more often aswell ?
Basicly that you would spend more time on the project?

I know its the wrong place to say it but a feature i would love but doubt will ever come is Voice commands :D
For instance on when you got INC you say it and it would automaticly type it in chat and you can control how many
times it does it etc. Would be a cool neat feature, dont know how difficult it would be to make but i could see Zerg / Raid leaders use it.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Koxicain wrote:Will this mean new features & request would happen more often aswell ?
It doesn't look too likely that I'll start charging for Mojo but if I do, I don't think it will have any effect on new features. It's a matter of dollars. The amount of money received won't begin to pay for the value of the work required to implement new features.

Up till now, I've worked on Mojo as a hobby, and that will still be true even if I start charging.
Koxicain wrote:I know its the wrong place to say it but a feature i would love but doubt will ever come is Voice commands :D
I like this idea and I've thought about doing it. If there were a way that I could get paid a reasonable wage to do it -- $10,000 might cover it -- I would do it. But there isn't. If more people played DAOC, we could probably crowd source the money, I could get paid, and the feature would get added. But I don't think it's possible.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Buffsteria wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm
The only issue I ran into is that once all the toons in a team are logged in, I need to alt tab outside of DAoC otherwise the mouse doesn't respond. But after I do this, everything works wonderfully! :-)
As far as I can remember Mojo does nothing to the mouse when it launches DAOC so this is probably a bug in DAOC. There used to be a bug in DAOC that made the mouse act in bizarre ways when Mojo launched DAOC, and Mojo used to contain code to compensate for that bug. But a few years ago I removed that code from Mojo because it looked like Broadsword had fixed the bug. (In case the Broadsword programmer is reading this, I'll mention that I suspect it might not have looked like a bug to you. I think maybe it got fixed inadvertently when you removed the DirectX child window from the main window.) This is the first time I've heard since then that there is still a mouse problem on launch.
Buffsteria wrote:
Also thanks to Mojo I was able to become LGM in everything! *cough* DoHotkeyAsync *cough*
DoHotkeyAsync has a funny history. When HotkeyNet was in alpha test back around 2008, it was used exclusively by WoW players, and I was utterly determined to keep it legal for WoW. At that time (and still today as far as I know), WoW allowed multiboxing but not repeating macros. HKN's testers kept asking me to implement loops and other methods to repeat commands. I kept refusing because I wanted to stay within WoW's rules. Meanwhile I had put DoHotkey in the program simply as a way of chaining hotkeys. It had never occurred to me that people could use it to repeat actions. Then one day, after it had been in the program for months, somebody told me, "Are you aware that people are using DoHotkey to make loops?" I had no idea. It was an exploit! An exploit of HotkeyNet. :) By then the command had been in the program for months so I kept it there. And I kept it in Mojo too because I wanted to encourage people to switch from HKN to Mojo.

I don't see any problem with this. It's up to the user to respect the rules. Cars can break speed limits and kitchen knives can murder people, but nobody thinks the manufacturers are responsible.
Buffsteria wrote:
I love your work and although we haven't spoken in years I still think I'm your biggest fan!
I'm probably your biggest fan!
Author of Mojo

Koxicain

Post by Koxicain » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 pm

Rob wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:31 pm
I like this idea and I've thought about doing it. If there were a way that I could get paid a reasonable wage to do it -- $10,000 might cover it -- I would do it. But there isn't. If more people played DAOC, we could probably crowd source the money, I could get paid, and the feature would get added. But I don't think it's possible.
Yeah i feel ya :D
This guy got something working though a collab would be sick :D
https://www.voicemacro.net/

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Koxicain wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 pm
This guy got something working though a collab would be sick :D
https://www.voicemacro.net/
If that program can generate key presses as its output (in other words, you say a word or phrase and the program reacts by sending key presses to the operating system), then you can use it as it is to trigger Mojo's hotkeys when you talk. That will give you some of the functionality you want.

For example:

You say "invite group."

VoiceMacro reacts by sending key combo Alt Ctrl F8 to the operating system.

In your Mojo hotkey file you've defined Hotkey ( Alt Ctrl F8) which invites all your toons to a group.
Author of Mojo

mengths

Post by mengths » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 pm

This late in DAoCs life, charging for mojo would have a very low return - I do believe you should have started charging much earlier. As little as it matters now, I just donated, as mojo has been worth far more than that amount. Even as someone with only two accounts, Ive found it as invaluable as LOKI (hopefully no offense).

At the very least Id like to say thanks for this program, and I wish you the best! If it becomes paid I will gladly pay again for a license!

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:26 pm

mengths wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 pm
This late in DAoCs life, charging for mojo would have a very low return - I do believe you should have started charging much earlier.
I agree completely. And even if I had started charging from the day I first published it, in 2010, it probably wouldn't have been worth the trouble. Even then the number of potential buyers was probably too small. That's why I never did it.
mengths wrote:
As little as it matters now, I just donated, as mojo has been worth far more than that amount.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
mengths wrote:
Even as someone with only two accounts, Ive found it as invaluable as LOKI (hopefully no offense).
Offense? Not at all! I've often said that Sean Gibb, author of Loki, is one of the genuinely excellent programmers who have written 3rd party software for DAOC during the game's history.

Here's a video of Sean which I've linked here before:

Interview with Sean Gibb, author of Loki
Author of Mojo