Mojo becoming a paid program?

Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
Rob
Site Admin

Mojo becoming a paid program?

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:59 am

I'm thinking pretty seriously of making Mojo a paid program. Before I do anything, I'm describing the plan here so people can make suggestions or try to talk me out of it.

People will still be able to download Mojo for free. The free version will work normally except for one thing: every copy of DAOC that it starts will run for only a short time.

To get unlimited Mojo, you'll have to pay for a subscription. A single subscription will allow you to run Mojo on as many PCs as you want simultaneously as long as the PCs connect to the Internet through the same IP address.

You'll be able to use your subscription from different IP addresses, but not at the same time. For example, you can use it at work, then go home, then use it at home. But a single subscription can't be used simutaneously from work and from home.

Prices:

1 month: $4.99
3 months: $12:49 (save 16%)
6 months: $19.99 (save 33%)
12 months: $29.99 (save 50%)

One problem with this plan is that some of Mojo's features don't work or work poorly because I never finished them. As long as the program was free there was no legal problem with this but that changes when I start taking money.

The simplest way to solve the problem would be to remove the flaky features before I start accepting payment.
Author of Mojo

Siambra

Re: Mojo becoming a paid program?

Post by Siambra » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am

I love Mojo so I'd pay :)

Tubben

Post by Tubben » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 am

I would pay for Mojo, if i could create buttons to click, to send commands to different clients.

I wonder why you dont write an program which works for every MMO. Hotkeynet is already great. I dont think a logparser, or spellcrafter is needed.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:08 am

Tubben wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 am
I would pay for Mojo, if i could create buttons to click, to send commands to different clients.
As you probably know, you can make that kind of button with HotkeyNet, so I'm puzzled. You say HotkeyNet is great, so why not just use HotkeyNet for free instead of paying for Mojo? (For reasons I'll explain below, I think Mojo works much better than HotkeyNet. I wrote both programs.)
Tubben wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 am
I wonder why you dont write an program which works for every MMO. Hotkeynet is already great.
I've tried to do that twice, first when I wrote HotkeyNet and the second time when I started Mojo which was originally intended to be for all MMOs.

I learned from HotkeyNet that it's very difficult to make a single program send keystrokes properly to all MMOs.

Here are some of the problems with HotkeyNet:
  • HKN can't stop DAOC from seeing alt, shift, and control when they are pressed on the keyboard so you can't create hotkeys with HKN that (1) get triggered with modifiers but (2) send keystrokes without modifiers.
  • With HotkeyNet, toons get interrupted and knocked off when they are in the background and you press certain keys. This doesn't happen with Mojo.
  • HotkeyNet can't send movement hotkeys.
  • Hotkeynet can't stop background toons from seeing the game's own movement keys.
HotkeyNet can't do these things but Mojo does them perfectly.

The reason Mojo can do these things and HotkeyNet cannot is that HKN was written for all MMOs but Mojo was written specifically for DAOC. (Originally I started Mojo for all MMOs but gave up and made it specifically for DAOC).

That's one reason why it's very difficult to write a single multiboxing program that works well for MMOs in general. Another reason is that a huge fraction of the program is concerned with teams, servers, settings, etc., and those things vary from one game to another.
Author of Mojo

Tubben

Post by Tubben » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you for the long answer.

I wonder if you could do an general, plugin (MMO Plugin) driven program.

Like Hotkeynet with an "DAOC 'Mojo' Plugin", an "WoW Plugin" and so on.

Would be probably more or less like Inner space / ISBoxer.

That way you could use your hard work for upcomming MMO's, while still supporting old MMOs - since you dont have that much to do on your "old" plugins.

burningstave

Post by burningstave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:51 pm

As much as I love Mojo I wouldn't be able to justify spending money on a reoccurring subscription service to make the logging in process of a 17 year old game easier. I could see donating at some point, but I would unfortunately have to walk away if it becomes a paid program.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Tubben wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 pm
I wonder if you could do an general, plugin (MMO Plugin) driven program.

Like Hotkeynet with an "DAOC 'Mojo' Plugin", an "WoW Plugin" and so on.
I don't think plugins would save me any work. Let me try to explain why.

There's always going to be some code that all the games use. Let's call that shared code. There will also be some code that is different for each game. Let's call that game-specific code.

No matter what i do, I have to write all that code.

The only thing that changes is the time and place at which the two kinds of code get linked. With plugins, they get linked on the user's computer. With standalone programs, they get linked on my PC at build time.

The main question for me is, "Can the game-specific code share the same UI?" If they can use a single UI, then I can write one UI and the plugins plug into it. But if they can't, then a plug-in architecture doesn't make a lot of sense. And I think maybe in this case they can't or they can't easily. It might be a huge pain in the neck trying to jam these different games into a single UI.
Author of Mojo

Sitruc

Post by Sitruc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Well Rob I got to say I like using Mojo, I liked that you were available on Discord when I played on Geharis more. However this is a post to convince you to not make it a subscription, although I know the draw of a residual income. I will offer you another line of thinking. How about a donation program? You may or may not be able to make this happen but here goes. A one time donation of $25.00 to keep what version you have now. Another version comes out and has features that others want/works better then a donation of $5 or $10 to get the download/upgrade. That could be the residual part. Anyways I would have to walk away also if it goes subscription, even in the game I have GTC's from others selling gear and such being a disabled vet on a fixed income. I would not be against donating and just keeping the version you have now without any upgrades at this time. If you had an upgrade in the future that I really really really wanted, I would pay to get that feature/upgrade. Thank you for the hard work you do on this program.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks a lot Sitruc for taking time to tell me your ideas. I'm glad you're using the program and I'd feel bad if you have to stop using it, not only because you're a disabled vet and but also because you're a nice guy.

I want to make sure I understand you because I'm a little puzzled by the word "donation."

To me "donation" means, "Payment is voluntary. Customers give if they want but they don't have to." Mojo has always had that. There's a donation button on the program right now. It's been there for nine years. During that time I did the equivalent of about a year's work on Mojo and less than one thousand dollars was donated. A tiny handful of people donated and everyone else used it for free. So donations (in the sense that I use the word) don't begin to pay me what the work was worth.

If I understand you right, you're saying, "If people want to keep using the current version, they have to pay $25 for it. That gives them a permanent license for it. Later, in the future, if you publish upgrades, they'll have to pay a small additional amount to get the same kind of permanent license for the upgrade."

Is that what you mean? There's nothing voluntary about that, right? If they don't pay $25 they won't be able to use the program?

Do I understand you?
Thank you for the hard work you do on this program.
You're welcome. And thanks for saying thanks. :)
Author of Mojo

Sitruc

Post by Sitruc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 am

If I understand you right, you're saying, "If people want to keep using the current version, they have to pay $25 for it. That gives them a permanent license for it. Later, in the future, if you publish upgrades, they'll have to pay a small additional amount to get the same kind of permanent license for the upgrade."
Yes, sorry for the poor choice of words and thank you for clarifying it for me, my idea was there just didn't make it out as well as you put it. All those numbers are hypothetical of course, it's your product and you can make those numbers what you like. I thought maybe a one time "license" fee for the current version might be more palatable to most than a subscription.