only 1 free account allowed on a PC

light

only 1 free account allowed on a PC

Post by light » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Tried to log in 2 Endless Conquests accounts (free accounts) today and I got the message above. That means no PvE macro teams unless things change?

Great program btw!

Rob
Site Admin

Re: only 1 free account allowed on a PC

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 am

Interesting. I decided to come back to DAOC for the EC, didnt know about the 1 account requirement lol. Just tried this on my two main accounts and got the same error lol. Are my dreams of a 3FG pve zerg gone so quickly? :D

Side note: Fantastic work Rob, been reading up on all the changes in the last year and change. Might have to finally stop using HKN lol. I see theres even a move window command which would really help. (can almost perfectly get 16 (4x4) 800x600 windows on a 4k screen) I was also going to try and find a way to find some way to automate setting each daoc instance to a single cpu thread as well, but might not bother if Broadswords just gonna insta-ban me lol.

LtGab

Post by LtGab » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm curious to know this too, does it involve creating a virtual machine ?

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 am

Oh God I hope not. I wanted to specifically build a 16thread ryzen 3 computer and run 2fg on it lol. I can't imagine the terrible performance of running 16 copies of windows on top of daoc lol. And $1k was hard enough to swallow for the lulz, I don't want to triple it and get a threadripper that can actually do this...

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am

alnmike wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 am
Fantastic work Rob, been reading up on all the changes in the last year and change. Might have to finally stop using HKN lol.
Thanks Mike. I think the biggest improvement over HKN is that ordinary hotkeys (that send keystrokes) always just simply work. Stick never breaks, you can use any combo of keys for the trigger, send any combo of keys -- it all just always works.
alnmike wrote:
I see theres even a move window command which would really help.
HKN has that too (SetWinPos).
alnmike wrote:
I was also going to try and find a way to find some way to automate setting each daoc instance to a single cpu thread as well, but might not bother if Broadswords just gonna insta-ban me lol.
You can do that with HotkeyNet (SetAffinity). I don't think I've gotten around to putting a similar feature in Mojo but I can't remember and I'm away from home without a PC so I can't look.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am

LtGab wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm curious to know this too, does it involve creating a virtual machine ?
In order to implement the one-EC limit, Broadsword has to be looking at one or more pieces of client-side information that identify you. The clients are on players' computers, so if players experiment a bit, I think they will figure out which piece(s) of info Broadsword is using.

Some possible things that Broadsword might be looking at: the accounts themselves; IP addresses; GUIDs that the clients put in the registry; mutexes; data in shared memory; named pipes; temporary files; etc.

Most of these things are easy to check without being a programmer or violating the EUALA. You just need to think like a detective and do simple experiments to check one thing at a time.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 am

alnmike wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 am
Oh God I hope not. I wanted to specifically build a 16thread ryzen 3 computer and run 2fg on it lol. I can't imagine the terrible performance of running 16 copies of windows on top of daoc lol. And $1k was hard enough to swallow for the lulz, I don't want to triple it and get a threadripper that can actually do this...
You may be able to rule out that VMs would help by running two ECs each on a different PC connected to the same router. If that doesn't work I think probably VMs also won't work.

I'm ordering parts this week for a new Ryzen PC mainly for programming. The total cost so far is $1900 with a 3900x and Asus Prime Pro not including the monitor. I'm skimping on the disk drives and even so this is the most expensive PC I ever built by far.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Rob wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am
Most of these things are easy to check without being a programmer or violating the EUALA. You just need to think like a detective and do simple experiments to check one thing at a time.
Sounds like the "curse of knowledge" there lol :P.

So, I decided to learn how to use VM's to test this. and it does work... kinda..
https://pasteboard.co/IH1bl0O.jpg
Heres a screenshot of the VM account logged in. Im assuming it looks like garbage because the VM doesnt have a video card assigned to it, probably not a big deal in the long run, but it basically maxed out 2 of my cores (threads) and ate about 1 gig of ram for just this 1 VM. Rams not really the issue, can just buy more easily enough, daoc is maxxed out with 2gb anyway. The textures however, and being able to actually see doorways, ect.....

As far as testing mutex's, I loaded my HKN script and did the killmutex hotkey. But HKN said the mutex's couldnt be found. Im assuming because Mojo already killed them. Tried to log into the second one outside the VM, denied.

Cant be IP based, since it worked on the VM. Dont know anything about GUID's, shared memory and pipes. The VM I believe doesnt share memory or the registry, I just dont know enough to figure it out.

To test temp files, I used Mojo's virtual folder and tried to open on two different ones, denied.
In case it was writing to the install directory, I copied the whole 5Gb and tried opening from the new folder. Denied.
I dont know what kind of temp files show up elsewhere.

Edit: Just donated $50 because you still seem to care against all sanity :P
(Guess im also insane because I dont really see myself playing daoc haha)

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm

alnmike wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Sounds like the "curse of knowledge" there lol :P.
Lol. I guess I'm lucky that at my age, every day I forget a few more things and know less. :) I just realized I've been calling you Mike for years and maybe your name means Al 'n' Mike.
alnmike wrote:
So, I decided to learn how to use VM's to test this. and it does work... kinda..
That's a great piece of info. That makes it pretty certain that Broadsword is using a piece of info on the user's machine such as a piece of shared memory.
alnmike wrote:
but it basically maxed out 2 of my cores (threads) and ate about 1 gig of ram for just this 1 VM.
Something you might want to be aware of is that the DAOC client's main thread will always use as much CPU time as it can get up to 100% of a core even when it doesn't need it.
alnmike wrote:

As far as testing mutex's, I loaded my HKN script and did the killmutex hotkey. But HKN said the mutex's couldnt be found. Im assuming because Mojo already killed them. Tried to log into the second one outside the VM, denied.
Yeah that’s why. By the way, the mutexes that HKN and Mojo delete are different from the one(s) that Broadsword would be using for this new purpose. Mutexes are like files in the sense that apps can create as many as they like and can give them names.

I think we can probably rule out mutexes and some other kernel objects because another player told me today that Process Explorer shows the same list of handles for the client regardless of whether it's running a paid account or EC account (but see below for more about this).
alnmike wrote:
Cant be IP based, since it worked on the VM.
Right.
alnmike wrote:
Dont know anything about GUID's, shared memory and pipes. The VM I believe doesnt share memory or the registry, I just dont know enough to figure it out.
Putting together what you've discovered and what the other guy discovered (I'm away from home without a PC so I'm just chatting about these things with you guys), (1) VMs defeat the mechanism so it's something on individual machines but (2) it's not an object that remains on Process Explorer's handle window after the program initializes. That narrows down the possibilities tremendously. I can't remember all the types of handles shown by Process Explorer, but I don't think it shows shared memory and if it shows a registry handle, the handle would appear on screen for just a fraction of a second (therefore the guy who checked Process Explorer wouldn't have seen a registry handle). And if Broadsword is using a file for this purpose, the file handle would also appear on screen for just a fraction of a second. So those three things (shared memory, registry, file) are my main guesses at the moment.

I'm trying to think how nonprogrammers could check those three things. There might be ways with Windows event logging, maybe also requiring group policy settings or other settings, but that's the sort of thing that sys admins do and requires some effort.

I'm wondering if the programmer at Broadsword who wrote this code is reading this and if so, what he or she is thinking.
alnmike wrote:
To test temp files, I used Mojo's virtual folder and tried to open on two different ones, denied.
In case it was writing to the install directory, I copied the whole 5Gb and tried opening from the new folder. Denied.
I dont know what kind of temp files show up elsewhere.
That was a good try, very sensible, but DAOC runs as admin so it can create, read, and write files in any folder on any hard disk.
alnmike wrote:
Edit: Just donated $50 because you still seem to care against all sanity :P
(Guess im also insane because I dont really see myself playing daoc haha)
Thank you sir. Welcome to the asylum. :)
Author of Mojo