only 1 free account allowed on a PC

alnmike

Re: only 1 free account allowed on a PC

Post by alnmike » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 am

Can't imagine them writing files outside their own folders. (install/app data)

Did windows properties of the install folder, the app data folder and the documents folder. All show the exact same amount of files.

Ohhh. Interesting. Checked out the bytes and there's something in the documents folder that is about 50KB bigger. False alarm... Delve.txt updates when you log out.

New edit: there appears to be a conhost.exe opening and closing for a split second (sometimes) when I open the second daoc instance.

Last edit before I goto sleep. Yeah its Mike.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm

alnmike wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 am
Can't imagine them writing files outside their own folders. (install/app data)
Programs do that sometimes. Microsoft discourages it (except for TEMP folders) but it can be done without messing anything up on the user's PC. Were your folders set to show all files (hidden, system, etc)? Did you look in the two temp folders? I don't think this file, if it exists, is likely to be in the install folders because Broadsword would need multiple installed DAOC's to see the same file.
alnmike wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 am
New edit: there appears to be a conhost.exe opening and closing for a split second (sometimes) when I open the second daoc instance.
Great catch. Is the second instance the only EC instance? Conhost.exe is the process that runs when a command prompt window opens. This means the second instance is opening a command prompt window (which may be invisible), and this is probably happening because the instance is running a .bat file (it could also be an .exe, see next post), and if so, that .bat file may be doing the work of checking for other EC instances. (You might want to check the .bat files in the install folder (you can look inside them with a text editor like NotePad). They may show creation dates, too, in which case you'd be looking for a recent one.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Rob wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm
... this is probably happening because the instance is running a .bat file...
The instance may also be running a certain kind of executable file (a so-called console application). If so the executable file is probably in the install folder with a file extension "exe". However this executable file, if it exists, can be named anything, and in fact, as I'll explain in a moment, it doesn't even need to be stored on disk as a file. If it's a file It may not have an .exe extension. (Game.dll is an executable file but Mythic named it "dll" for some bizarre reason.)

If the executable file exists, during the time conhost.exe is visible on Process Explorer, a new separate process will also open briefly on Process Explorer. IT will have the same name as the executable file in the install folder.

If the Broadsword programmer wanted to be tricky he or she might have embedded the executable inside some other file as data (this is often done as a "resource") and might save it as a file temporarily in order to run it, but if that's the case, you could probably see game.dll on Process Explorer creating and deleting the temporary file.

By the way I think you can suspend (temporarily freeze) processes with Process Explorer by right clicking the process name and clicking "suspend" on the menu. This might help you slow things down to see better what's going on. But if you do this, do it only with accounts you don't care about, because the "suspend" feature is probably implemented with the Windows debugging API and Broadsword may think you're debugging the game (you aren't, you are only looking at lists of Windows processes) and may terminate the account.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Hmm, I checked the temp folders (all that i can find) for anything with a modified date of <now>, nada. However, "C:\Users\M\AppData\Local" has a temp and crashdump folder that shows modified timestamps that line up with one of my denied attempts. But there's no files inside with the timestamp, so must have been deleted. Cant replicate now for some reason (timestamp not updating).

What do you mean by process explorer? Im using task manager, details tab. Dont see a suspend option.

Ive got hidden folders shown. I also dont see any .bat files in install folder.

Delve.txt definitely updates every time I log in or out, I just cant decipher it. Tried overwriting it with a copy from when no instances were running, got denied on the 2nd account still lol.

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Forgot to add: no subbed accounts, just EC

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Oh, sorry, I thought you said you were using Process Explorer or maybe I just assumed it. Process Explorer is a free program published by Microsoft. It's like TaskManager but more powerful with additional features. To find it, look for "sysinternals process explorer" in a search engine.

If you click a process on Process Explorer and open the handle view, you can see all the "things" that the process is opening and closing including mutexes, files, etc. Then you can right-click any of those things and delete them, etc.

It may be the case that the file (if Broadsword is using one) exists only while DAOC-EC is running.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 am

P.S. If you use Process Explorer you might want to try to identify the process (if any) that's getting hosted by conhost.exe and then watch that process and see what it's doing. If that process exists it probably comes and goes in a flash on Process Explorer when DAOC-EC launches so this may be hard. If I were doing this myself I wouldn't use Process Explorer for this purpose but maybe you can do it.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Is there a program that records everything over a time period?
Opened windows event viewer and don't know enough to navigate all the errors that are always there.

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Downloaded process explorer, ran a couple more tests.

Found the conhost, but its under mojo, ive been using mojo to quickly open the daoc instances (go figure) until now. Used the patcher to see if anything was different, timed the "prt scr" button to get these two pictures.
https://imggmi.com/full/2019/11/19/f9db ... l.png.html

Also did a copy/paste test for login.dll, no luck.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm

alnmike wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:33 pm
Found the conhost, but its under mojo....
Oh, okay, we can ignore it then. Thanks for the screenshot, it makes the situation clear. The login.dll that runs when you launch with Mojo is part of Mojo and it's not the same login.dll as the one in DAOC's install folder.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm

I thought of something else you can test easily.

You need two separate DAOC install folders (real ones, not Mojo virtual ones). Run DAOC-EC's in both.

If the second instance is denied, it's 100% certain that Broadsword is not doing this with a shared memory segment.

If the second instance is allowed, it's possible that they are using a shared named data segment.

Come to think of it you can probably look directly for a shared named data segment with a Microsoft utility called dumpbin.exe but that's more technical.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought of something else you can test easily.

You need two separate DAOC install folders (real ones, not Mojo virtual ones). Run DAOC-EC's in both.

If the second instance is denied, it's 100% certain that Broadsword is not doing this with a shared memory segment.

If the second instance is allowed, it's possible that they are using a shared named data segment.

Come to think of it you can probably look directly for a shared named data segment with a Microsoft utility called dumpbin.exe but that's more technical.
I copied the installation folder (5GB-ish) and tried earlier (denied), but they should still share all the appdata stuff.
Is there a way to change that behavior? Far as I know, the only thing in that is the char.bin and toon quickbar/ui files. Which is where MOJO virtual folder stuff comes in. (godsend BTW)

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Yeah, you can do that with a paths.dat file. There’s a bug in Mythic’s code so be sure to put a blank line at the end of the file after the last line of text.

https://gaheris.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=941
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:49 pm

A good test would be to launch a first EC successfully and then terminate it abruptly with Mojo. Then see if you can run another EC successfully. If you can, DAOC-EC probably isn't setting any kind of flag or variable and we need to look instead for a direct form of interprocess communication like windows message broadcasting.

Another thing you you could try is watching for registry changes (the first EC instance would change a registry value when it starts and stops) with Process Monitor (another free Sysinternals program from Microsoft).

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/proc ... -log-file/
Author of Mojo

LtGab

Post by LtGab » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Well I think I found part of the answear, I was doing test with VMs and it worked well so I decided to clone it and try to run another and turns out the 2nd VM cannot connect : only 1 EC account allowed on a PC. So I think they are only checking the PC names or something else that would be the same on a cloned PC.

Tried changing the 2nd VM PC name and it still doesn't work

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 pm

alnmike wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm
Is there a program that records everything over a time period?
Sorry I missed this post yesterday. I think Process Monitor (Sysinternals) records logs.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 pm

LtGab wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Well I think I found part of the answear, I was doing test with VMs and it worked well so I decided to clone it and try to run another and turns out the 2nd VM cannot connect : only 1 EC account allowed on a PC. So I think they are only checking the PC names or something else that would be the same on a cloned PC.

Tried changing the 2nd VM PC name and it still doesn't work
Great catch. I wonder if DAOC puts something in the registry to identify the machine.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:58 am

Interesting. Did you clone the VM before or after running EC? Not that it would matter if it's getting the equivalent of the windows license key.
Also, by working well, did you have missing graphics like my picture, or did you solve that? Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to do the MOJO force quit test.
Going on a big trip soon, won't be able to do anything until first week(end) of December.

LtGab

Post by LtGab » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:49 am

Mike - Yes I cloned after trying an EC account, so if daoc changed a file it got cloned. For the VM I don't know whats your problem, mine runs fine with all the textures and all, I just gave it 3 GB of ram and 2 processor. It's still a bit laggy but I can run some mojo hotkeys with it no problem.

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am

Hmm. I might try again then. Did you give it 2 cores or 2 threads(1 core)?

What VM program did you use? I used the first one that Google told me that looked ok.

I also ran mine, so might delete and reinstall windows, then clone that before starting EC.