only 1 free account allowed on a PC

Rob
Site Admin

Re: only 1 free account allowed on a PC

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm

I thought of something else you can test easily.

You need two separate DAOC install folders (real ones, not Mojo virtual ones). Run DAOC-EC's in both.

If the second instance is denied, it's 100% certain that Broadsword is not doing this with a shared memory segment.

If the second instance is allowed, it's possible that they are using a shared named data segment.

Come to think of it you can probably look directly for a shared named data segment with a Microsoft utility called dumpbin.exe but that's more technical.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Rob wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm
I thought of something else you can test easily.

You need two separate DAOC install folders (real ones, not Mojo virtual ones). Run DAOC-EC's in both.

If the second instance is denied, it's 100% certain that Broadsword is not doing this with a shared memory segment.

If the second instance is allowed, it's possible that they are using a shared named data segment.

Come to think of it you can probably look directly for a shared named data segment with a Microsoft utility called dumpbin.exe but that's more technical.
I copied the installation folder (5GB-ish) and tried earlier (denied), but they should still share all the appdata stuff.
Is there a way to change that behavior? Far as I know, the only thing in that is the char.bin and toon quickbar/ui files. Which is where MOJO virtual folder stuff comes in. (godsend BTW)

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Yeah, you can do that with a paths.dat file. There’s a bug in Mythic’s code so be sure to put a blank line at the end of the file after the last line of text.

https://gaheris.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=941
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:49 pm

A good test would be to launch a first EC successfully and then terminate it abruptly with Mojo. Then see if you can run another EC successfully. If you can, DAOC-EC probably isn't setting any kind of flag or variable and we need to look instead for a direct form of interprocess communication like windows message broadcasting.

Another thing you you could try is watching for registry changes (the first EC instance would change a registry value when it starts and stops) with Process Monitor (another free Sysinternals program from Microsoft).

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/proc ... -log-file/
Author of Mojo

LtGab

Post by LtGab » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Well I think I found part of the answear, I was doing test with VMs and it worked well so I decided to clone it and try to run another and turns out the 2nd VM cannot connect : only 1 EC account allowed on a PC. So I think they are only checking the PC names or something else that would be the same on a cloned PC.

Tried changing the 2nd VM PC name and it still doesn't work

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 pm

alnmike wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm
Is there a program that records everything over a time period?
Sorry I missed this post yesterday. I think Process Monitor (Sysinternals) records logs.
Author of Mojo

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 pm

LtGab wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Well I think I found part of the answear, I was doing test with VMs and it worked well so I decided to clone it and try to run another and turns out the 2nd VM cannot connect : only 1 EC account allowed on a PC. So I think they are only checking the PC names or something else that would be the same on a cloned PC.

Tried changing the 2nd VM PC name and it still doesn't work
Great catch. I wonder if DAOC puts something in the registry to identify the machine.
Author of Mojo

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:58 am

Interesting. Did you clone the VM before or after running EC? Not that it would matter if it's getting the equivalent of the windows license key.
Also, by working well, did you have missing graphics like my picture, or did you solve that? Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to do the MOJO force quit test.
Going on a big trip soon, won't be able to do anything until first week(end) of December.

LtGab

Post by LtGab » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:49 am

Mike - Yes I cloned after trying an EC account, so if daoc changed a file it got cloned. For the VM I don't know whats your problem, mine runs fine with all the textures and all, I just gave it 3 GB of ram and 2 processor. It's still a bit laggy but I can run some mojo hotkeys with it no problem.

alnmike

Post by alnmike » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am

Hmm. I might try again then. Did you give it 2 cores or 2 threads(1 core)?

What VM program did you use? I used the first one that Google told me that looked ok.

I also ran mine, so might delete and reinstall windows, then clone that before starting EC.