DAoC Settings Always Reset

Lockin

DAoC Settings Always Reset

Post by Lockin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:34 pm

I spent a couple hours setting up DAoC the exact way I wanted it, but every time I launch DAoC through Mojo it seems to reset all my settings from DAoC. The original launcher loses all past history of accounts and characters and defaults the keyboard seem to be another preset not the one I specified. I'm not running a virtual folder for any settings, I haven't adjusted anything in the root DAoC folder either, it just seems to be resetting every time I launch Mojo.

If I recall correctly it's the user.dat file that keeps that information? I saved a copy to my desktop for now of the settings I like.

Rob
Site Admin

Re: DAoC Settings Always Reset

Post by Rob » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 pm

This happens because DAOC contains a bug that causes user.dat to get emptied out of all data. This happens mainly when DAOC terminates and sometimes when it zones or goes to character selection. The bug is in DAOC not Mojo. This bug has been in the game since it launched in 2001.

Mojo doesn't touch that file in any way, so Mojo can't cause this to happen directly. However, I think it's probably the case that this bug is more likely to happen when multiple copies of DAOC are running simultaneously, because DAOC wasn't written for multiple copies. I think it's probably especially likely to happen when several copies of DAOC terminate simutaneously, because several copies of DAOC try to write to user.dat at the same time. This is more likely to happen with teams, so it's more likely to happen when people are using Mojo. I'm not 100% sure about this but it's my best guess based on nearly 4 decades as a programmer.

Mojo contains several features to help you deal with this problem:

1. It automatically maintains rolling back ups of user.dat so that after DAOC destroys user.dat, you have a backup that you can restore. You can get to the backups from Mojo's main menu (Folders -> etc.) You'll see a whole bunch of user.dat backups. You'll see two different sizes (number of kilobytes). The little ones are empty (in other words, they are backups of the destroyed file). Pick the most recent big one.

2. Mojo allows you to terminate DAOC "abruptly" instead of using DAOC's built-in quit button so DAOC's buggy code doesn't get a chance to run. To use this "abrupt" method of closing down, click the red X on DAOC's window (it's added by Mojo) or close DAOC with any "close" option anywhere in Mojo (Mojo's windows or hotkeys). Especially with teams, I recommend shutting DAOC down by right clicking the team icon on Mojo and selecting "close program" or "terminate" or whatever it's named. You can also close a team abruptly with Mojo by using its "terminate team" hotkey. I forget the exact names of these things.
Author of Mojo

Lockin

Post by Lockin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 am

Yeah I figured it was a DAoC issue, I was talking with @Wyred about it, he's my go-to tech guy. He showed me a bit of a work around so hopefully this keeps the user files saved. Thanks for the response!

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am

What's the work around?
Author of Mojo

Lockin

Post by Lockin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Having a saved file of the (user.dat) and when the settings get screwed up, just upload it into the ini.file location and voila fixed.